Friday, January 13, 2012

Owl (and a few of his friends) Pillows

I took a little vacation from blogging, life, etc., which is why you haven't heard anything from me.  I wish I could say I took a break from crafting too, but that would be a lie.  I'm a sewing addict.  I just bought $60 worth of clearance fabrics at Jo-Ann's.  Could I afford it? Nope.  Do I know what I'm going to do with it? Nope.  Have I even removed it from the plastic bag? Nope.

But to make up for my slackerish ways, I'm posting a craft of epic proportions. And a pattern for it.  Yes, you've forgiven me already, haven't you?

Especially when you see this cuteness...



Can I get a collective awwwwwwwwww?
Thanks.

The directions/pattern below are for the owl pillow specifically, but I'll post some pictures at the end of other creatures I made using the same general pattern.

Supplies
Owl Pattern (which is here)
1 yd. of 60"ish polar fleece (bright pink)
1/4 yd. contrasting fleece (light pink)
Various felt sheets (I used navy sparkle, royal blue, green, black, white and yellow)
Fun trims/embellishments (optional, I used white lace ruffle for the belly and top of the head)

Step 1
Cut out all pattern pieces, and assemble the owl body pattern like so:
Hint: Match up the letters (i.e. A butts up with A; B to B; etc.)

Once your pattern is assembled, you'll need to cut 2 from your main fabric, but cut 1/2" outside the pattern for a seam allowance.
Followed by 2 of each circle, 2 wings (noticing a trend here?), etc. from your various fabrics and felt.
However, only one beak is necessary.  I mean, you can cut two if you feel like it, or have OCD, or whatever.

Step 2: The Eyes
Now layer the eye circles on top of each other (largest on the bottom...sort of like my body shape, get it? HA) using the above picture as reference.  I then stuck a dab of glue in the middle to hold each one in place while I sewed the edge, and I would recommend doing that.
Tip: it is helpful to glue one layer on top of another and then sew it before adding the next layer. Seriously, trust me on this.

Step 3: Assemblage
Using ONE of your owl body pieces, begin assembling the face, wings and belly (if you're doing that).
I did the lace belly first, then the beak, then eyes, and wings as the last bit.  Remeber to stay a little more than 1/2" away from the edge with the eyes (it is okay if the wings go a little over, as my pattern making skills are not yet perfect).  Glue (optional) and sew everything in place.

Step 4: Sew and stuff
Put your body pieces right side together and stitch the edge using a 1/2" seam allowance (or whatever you decided on, rebellious ones), leaving an opening at the bottom for stuffing.
Stuff and whipstitch opening closed.

Here are the variations I did as well (my nephew with his bear and the penguin I made for my best friend Krystanne.  She's 22. We're friends because she appreciates when I make her stuffies).



Here's to an even craftier 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment