Friday, November 18, 2011

Anthropologie-inspired Sailor Necklace


 
 


Let me start by saying this is not for the faint of heart. This is a statement piece, so if you're going to wear it, you've got to flaunt it...which is also why half of the people who see it love it, and the other half hate it.

The other issue?

I waited too long to post this, definitely did not take enough pictures, and Anthropologie no longer has my inspiration necklace. But it was there. Really.  And it had the small price tag of $598.

Seriously.

That is rent and a half.  Anyway, craft stores here are limited at best, but I was able to get all my supplies at Jo-Ann's.

Supplies (for an average size choker)
1.5 yds of each of three different thicker cords
(you might consider getting 2 yds if you want more room to play)
1-2 yds. of smaller coordinating trims/cording
1/8 yd coordinating fabric (optional)
Glue gun and sticks
Toggle closure
End caps (pictured below...the bigger the better...I ended up needing 4 because they were smaller)
Eye hooks with posts (pictured below)
Large jump rings
Beads or other fun accents
Clothespins, tape or some kind of clips (optional, but reduce swearing)


Step 1

Put a dab of hot glue into the narrow end of your end cap and stick a eye post in so that the ring on the post extends above the end cap.  This is how you will attach it to the jump ring.  Repeat with all end caps. Cut off any excess post that hangs below the end cap.

Step 2
Now the knotting fun begins! Hold the end of the 3 thick cords at the base of your neck, and stick a clothespin about where you want your knots to start.

Rather than attempting to explain the knots, I am just posting pictures...I hope it is clear enough.  I'll post more pictures when I get around to making another.

First create you base knots with the three main ropes, as well as a medium rope added at the clothespin:
Feel free to experiment with different ropes/knots!

After the main knots are done, I wove some fabric in to help clear up some of the dead space:


I sewed my fabric in a tube before weaving, but it was really an unneccessary step.

Then I added more fabric here and there until it looked right, securing all ends with hot glue.  Finally I glued the cords together where the clothespin was holding them.

But what about the raw glue where the clothes pin was?

I covered that in fabric too! If you have enough leftover trims you could also wrap that area in cording instead (I didn't have enough to do that).

Now add beads and embellishments until it looks right.



Step 3
DISCLAIMER: This step may induce swearing, stomping of the feet and possible burned fingertips.

Now it is time to attempt to shove the fat cording into the seemingly too small endcap. (I pray for your sakes that you were able to find larger endcaps than I was...BUT it is doable! I promise).  I took the smaller of the two cord and taped the ends as tight as I could, put some hot glue in the end cap, and shoved the cords in.  NOTE: Hold until your glue dries...I didn't the first couple of times, hence the swearing and feet stomping.

Repeat with remaining cords.  You could also do each cord in its own end cap, and avoid the headache, but I only had 4 on hand.

Use jump rings to attach cords to closure. Annnnd you're done!

No comments:

Post a Comment