Wednesday, November 30, 2011

slipper bench redo!

Quite some time ago (actually it's been even longer than I'd like to admit) I found this little treasure at a flea market with the whopping price tag of $3.



I actually liked it as is when I bought it, especially the color of the top (the pale pink bottom I could have done without), but I always figured I could redo it when I got sick of it.

....annnnnnnnnnnnnddd 4+ years go by...

There, I admitted it. I never could make up my mind on what to do, and it wasn't really a priority.  A week or so ago I realized I was storing it under my coffee table because it clashed so badly with my living room.  Totally unacceptable.  Now it was priority level one.

First step...new paint.  I coated the bottom with a navy satin spray paint.  I used to actually sand, prime, and paint all my furniture, but once you use spray paint, you never go back.  It's faster, easier, and gives you more even coverage...IF you can get the right color.

My original plan was to rip the foam on the top off and replace it with something thicker, but once I pulled all the vinyl off, I realized that foam was not going anywhere.  So I just put the padding on top.  I bought this stuff called NU-Foam at Jo-Ann's (mostly because it was cheaper than regular foam) but it is pretty neat stuff.  I cut it to size and tapered the edges.


I put duct tape rolls between the layers to (kind of) hold them in place, then I layed the fabric over it, flipped it over, and staple gunned it on the underside.  Note: The more staples you use, and the tighter you can get the fabric, the better overall look.

To place the buttons on the top, my original plan was just to staple gun where I wanted them to go and then hot glue the buttons over the top.  Epic fail.  After my 5th staple sproinged out and went flying across the room*, I had to go to plan B...nails.  It worked surprisingly well.
*At which point I had to get up and run and grab the staple before Thor ate it.  He thought this was pretty much the best game ever.




Then I used some trim that I had purchased for a project I never got around to for the edge, and held it on with upholstery tacks.


It turned out even better than I thought! And because I love before and after pictures (and am trying to teach my self photoshop)...


Cost
Slipper bench: $3
Foam: 4.79*
Trim: Already had
Buttons: $1.93*
Fabric: $3.74
Upholstery Tacks: $3.00
Spray Paint: $3.44
TOTAL COST: $19.90

*Special thanks to the lady at Jo-Ann's who slipped me coupons when I realized I stupidly forgot mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment