Tuesday, November 29, 2011

DIY Bathroom Organizer

I have a serious love/hate relationship with apartment living.  I love that someone else shovels my sidewalks, pays for W/S/G and comes and fixes things when they break.  I hate that I have to listen to my neighbor's conversations and most of all, my lack of storage. 
But it does force me to be creative.

I saw a picture of a similar organizer online and had to have it...


First step: Call my dad and ask him what those thingys are called that look like metal zip ties. Apparently they are called ring clamps. And you can get them anywhere. Who knew?

Let me preface by saying I am really not a ditz...but when it comes to power tools and the like I am pretty clueless.*

*My dad got me this really extensive tool set when I graduated high school, so far I have discovered that the clamps work great as chip clips and the screwdrivers also work well as prybars for unfortunate oven accidents (don't ask).

Next step: Pick a day when my pops would not be in his shop and thus unable to cringe at my misuse of his power tools.

Supplies
Cool board (or uncool, your choice), cut to the length to fit your space.  I used a piece of old molding**
**which I cut by hand because I was pretty sure I'd lose a limb with the power saw. #goodworkout
2 eyehooks
Baling, or other thick wire
Drill
3 ring clamps (also these come in sizes, again...who knew? so sized to fit over the lip of your jars)
3 mason jars

Step 1
Set your jars on the board, and figure out how low you want them to hang. Measure the length of your board and divide that into fourths.  Mark the middle three at the level you want your jars to hang.  Next, place a ring clamp centered over the mark you just made (sticking out like it was holding a jar) and mark above and below it.  These will be the holes you drill to wire the ring clamps onto the board.

Drill holes where you marked...these do not have to be pretty or perfect (mine certainly weren't).

This is also a good time to install your eyehooks at the top.  I measured equidistance from each end, drilled a tiny bit and screwed them in by hand.  There might be a better way, but I don't know what it is.


Step 2
Cut a length of wire (the longer the easier to work with...I probably cut them at around 12") and poke one end through each of the holes. Pull the ends and get the wire as tight as you can.

Using pliers, twist the wire a couple of turns to secure it.  Cut off the long tails, and bend the twisted wire to one side or the other.


It should look like this from the front when you're finished...


Step 3
Open your ring clamps all the way and thread one end through your wire loop.  Repeat with remaining 2 clamps.  Tighten them down part way and set jars in the clamp.  Tighten as much as possible...and viola! Organizer complete!


Organizer in use:


2 comments:

  1. Haha thanks! Mostly I was proud of my use (or misuse) of power tools.

    ReplyDelete