Thursday, December 15, 2011

My top 10 crafting necessities: the final 3...

...Plus some more, because I can't count.

I apologize for the blogging inconsistencies...unfortunately my crafting procrastination has taken over what is left of my life.  The amount I need to accomplish in the mere week before Christmas seems insurmountable.  What's that you say? It can't be that bad?

Guess who's got two thumbs and was at the movie theater last night at 9:45 buying a gift card for our Christmas party tonight? This girl!

And are the rest of the gifts for my coworkers done for tonight? Nope. But they will be, dammit.

I graduated in May of this year, and it seems counting to ten has already become difficult. Okay, not really, I had a list of my top ten, but I keep thinking of more, so here's the last of things necessary for crafting survival.

Good Scissors

Preface: DO NOT spend millions on scissors! You can easily pick up a pair of Fiskars at Jo-Ann's or other crafting stores for under $10.

If you are doing any kind of detail work or even something as simple as cutting out a pattern, the scissors you use can make a huge difference! I recommend that you have at least 2 good pairs...one for papercrafting and one for fabric.  And do NOT let the rest of your family/roommates/squatters use them for anything else.  Because to most men, scissors are scissors.  Hide them, hoard them.

Open Storage

Now, before you start thinking that you don't have time or money for custom craft storage, please know that you're not alone.  And though I dream of one day having a separate crafting/sewing building where I will be able to iron in peace...it's not the case:


There are several reasons I think it is crucial to have your fabric/papers out where you can see it:
1) It leads to crafting inspiration.
I will sometimes just wander in and look at my fabric shelves, and think "That cotton needs to be a pillow. It calls to me."  Okay not really, but if I'm thinking of a project, and I see the right fabric, it's like all the pieces come together.
2) It will save you money.
When I used to store my fabric in boxes and totes, I would get so frustrated trying to find what I was looking for that I would just go buy it.  And then after the project was done, I'd find a cut of fabric that would have worked better.  Commence state of anger.
3) Boxes suck.
No explanation needed.
4) If you color coordinate your fabrics, it makes browsing easier and it looks rull purdy.

So what do I use for my open storage? Bookshelves. Cheap, ugly bookshelves.  They don't take up much room, and once you fill them with fabric, you don't notice their ugliness.  Mine were hand-me-downs, but you can get them used off craigslist or from yard sales for less than $10.  And if you really hate that simulated wood finish (understandable), spray paint them.

Notions, Notions, Notions

Know them, love them, and stock up on them.  ALWAYS have an arsenal of pins, needles (sewing machine and hand sewing), thread, buttons, tape, fasteners, etc.  I HATE having to stop a project because I don't have the right velcro on hand.  It usually means the project goes to the bottom of the "to finish" pile (aka projects that will probably sit for years until I go on a cleaning streak and toss them).

It is really important to know your notions too.  Not all sewing machine needles and thread are the same.  If you are sewing with a lightweight knit, you want a thinner needle and thread than if you're sewing through canvas.  Yes, all purpose products will work, but are more likely to damage your fabric if you're working with lighterweight materials.  Just remember: delicate fabrics=delicate notions, heavy fabrics=heavier notions.

Pins are the same way.  If you try to pin through leather with satin pins, you probably will just bend your pin and end up stabbing yourself #bloodalloveryouralmostfinishedproject.  For most projects I use satin pins with glass heads (so you can iron over them), but I do have a stash of heavier duty pins for making bags, etc.

Finally, know when to change your needles, blades, sharpen your scissors, etc.  Maintenance is just as important.  Change your sewing machine needle every project or 2, depending on what it is...you will love the difference in your machine.  Also, if you're working with fluffy fabrics (polar fleece, etc.) clean under your bobbin holder frequently, it is amazing how quickly things build up in there (I didn't...for like a year. AND then I had to take my whole machine apart and clean it.  It was a REALLY fun day.

Pattern Weights

Have you heard of these little things?? I am OBSESSED! Not only will you have more accurate cuts, but it cuts your prep time in half or more!  You can buy these from most craft stores:


Or, there are a ton of tutorials online that you could do for cheaper.  I have really good intentions to make some of these, but it hasn't happened yet (that whole last minute Christmas crafting issue isn't helping), so I just use bags of pasta, chocolate chips, books, or whatever else I have on hand.  (Beware open bags though...the twisty came off my pasta in the middle of one my projects and I didn't realize it, so when I tossed it to the side I got a pasta shower.  Thor thought it was great).

I think that's it for now...but coming up: Last-Minute DIY Christmas Gifts--the irony is just too much.


No comments:

Post a Comment